Gaming has gained a lot of popularity in the past few decades. People love playing video games, and since the popularity and demand of video games and gaming systems are increasing, several companies are trying to advance a level in the gaming industry.
Sony has always been on top of the gaming industry by making some of the best gaming devices, and one such gaming device is PSP. The full form of PSP is the Portable PlayStation. This PlayStation comes in two different variants, which are known as 3G PS Vita and WiFi PS Vita.
3G vs Wifi PS Vita
The main difference between 3G PS Vita and WiFi PS Vita is that the 3G PS Vita has an internet connectivity facility through mobile data, also known as cellular data, and through WiFi. On the other hand, in the case of WiFi PS Vita, the internet connectivity facility is only through a WiFi connection.
The 3G PS Vita was released as an advancement to the WiFi PS Vita. It has many features, apart from just playing video games. The 3G PS Vita also supports social media apps like Facebook and entertainment apps like Netflix.
The WiFi PS Vita is another variant of the PS Vita series launched by Sony. In this type of portable PlayStation, you can stream video games endlessly without any data limit or even download video games of large size.
Comparison Table Between 3G and Wifi PS Vita
|Parameters of comparison||3G PS Vita||WiFi PS Vita|
|Internet connectivity||There is no Wi-Fi connectivity in the region.||WiFi PS Vita can only be connected through wifi.|
|Multiplayer mode||3G PS Vita does not support multiplayer mode video games due to poor latency.||WiFi PS Vita supports multiplayer mode video games due to stable latency.|
|Network usage limit||3G PS Vita has a network usage limit up to only 20 MB.||3G PS Vita can be connected through both cellular data and wifi as well.|
|Data plan||WiFi PS Vita does not require a data plan to be installed before playing or streaming.||3G PS Vita can be connected through cellular data and wifi.|
|Ideal when||There is no wifi connectivity in the region.||3G PS Vita requires installing a data plan before playing or streaming.|
What is 3G PS Vita?
Sony released the 3G PS Vita after releasing the WiFi PS Vita. 3G PS Vita can be considered an upgrade of WiFi PS Vita because the internet connectivity in the new portable PlayStation has a vast option.
That is to say, as the name suggests, the 3G PS Vita has an option of internet connectivity from a Wi-Fi connection or a hotspot source, but it can also be connected through mobile data, also known as cellular data.
Moreover, since the 3G PS Vita can also be connected through cellular data, one can use this type of portable PlayStation in any area if you have your phone along with you. You do not have to worry about whether you have a good and stable Wi-Fi connectivity region around you or not.
What is Wi-Fi PS Vita?
As the name suggests, Wifi PS Vita supports internet connectivity only through WiFi. That is why it is important to consider if you have good and stable Wi-Fi connectivity or a good hotspot region around you before buying this type of portable PlayStation.
Moreover, the WiFi PS Vita does not support social media or entertainment apps like the 3G PS Vita. However, this type of portable PlayStation supports almost all sorts of multiplayer games, unlike the 3G PS Vita.
Main Differences Between 3G and Wifi PS Vita
- The internet connectivity in the case of 3G PS Vita is through both options, that is, mobile data, also known as cellular data, and Wi-Fi. On the other hand, the internet connectivity in the case of WiFi PS Vita is only through a WiFi connection.
- Though the 3G PS Vita has internet connectivity through cellular data, it signifies that the device might have poor latency. In simpler words, it can be said that the 3G PS Vita might not support all of the games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer mode when cellular data is used for internet connectivity. The internet connection in WiFi PS Vita is through WiFi, which means the device will not show poor latency. As a result, the portable PlayStation will support almost all types of video games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer mode.
- 3G PS Vita has a network usage limit of up to a maximum of 20 MB. That means one cannot download heavy-sized video games or stream anything with a larger data intake. On the other hand, in the case of WiFi PS Vita, there is no such network usage limit as this type of portable PlayStation has an unlimited bandwidth with high speed. As a result, WiFi PS Vita can be used for downloading heavy games and streaming video games with a large data intake.
- To use the 3G PS Vita, one must choose a 3G data plan with the carrier. That is to say, the 3G PS Vita is not free. Instead, the probable PlayStation requires a prior data plan installed before playing video games or streaming. But in the case of WiFi PS Vita, there is no such requirement for a prior data plan to be installed. Instead, the portable PlayStation can be used anywhere with a Wi-Fi connectivity region.
- It is best to use a 3G PS Vita if you do not have any Wi-Fi connectivity or a Wi-Fi hotspot region around you. On the other hand, it is best to use WiFi PS Vita if you have good and stable Wi-Fi connectivity or any hotspot region around you.
With extremely realistic graphics and sound effects, video games have already boosted the gaming industry. But, if a video game is good or bad also depends upon the gaming system in which the video game is being played.
3G PS Vita and WiFi PS Vita are two of the gaming devices that make video games reach another level of a better experience.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.