What is Gorilla Glass?
Gorilla Glass is a brand of specialized glass developed and manufactured by Corning Inc. It is designed to be exceptionally durable, scratch-resistant, and damage-resistant, making it an ideal material for electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and smartwatches. Gorilla Glass is known for its exceptional strength and ability to withstand everyday wear and tear, including scratches and impacts.
Key features of Gorilla Glass include:
- Scratch Resistance: Gorilla Glass has a hard surface that is highly resistant to scratches. This helps protect device screens from damage caused by keys, coins, or other objects that may come into contact with them.
- Impact Resistance: It is designed to withstand impacts and drops, reducing the likelihood of cracks or shattering upon accidental falls.
- Thin and Lightweight: Despite its durability, Gorilla Glass is thin and lightweight, making it suitable for slim and portable electronic devices.
- Optical Clarity: Gorilla Glass maintains excellent optical clarity, ensuring that device screens display clear and vibrant images.
- Easy to Clean: The glass surface is easy to clean and resistant to smudges and fingerprints.
- Variety of Applications: Gorilla Glass is used in various consumer electronics, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, smartwatches, and television screens.
What is Panda Glass?
Panda Glass is a brand of chemically strengthened glass developed and manufactured by Panda Mobile Glass, a subsidiary of Nanjing CEEG Nanjing Building Glass Company Ltd. Some key facts about Panda Glass:
- It was first introduced 2010 as an ultra-thin, durable glass for smartphones and other consumer electronics.
- Panda Glass uses an ion-exchange chemical strengthening process to compress the glass surface and make it more resistant to damage from drops and scratches.
- According to the company, Panda Glass is over 20 times more durable than regular soda-lime glass of the same thickness.
- It can be made very thin (under 1mm) while maintaining durability, making it ideal for slim and lightweight mobile devices.
- Panda Glass has been used in over 1 billion mobile devices from major brands like Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, etc.
- It competes with Corning’s Gorilla Glass for the smartphone and tablet glass market.
- Other applications include usage in smartwatches, TVs, laptops, VR devices, cockpit displays, etc.
Comparison Table Between Gorilla Glass and Panda Glass
|Aspect||Gorilla Glass||Panda Glass|
|Manufacturer||Corning Inc.||CEEG Nanjing Building Glass|
|Strength||Up to 2x stronger than soda-lime glass||Up to 20x stronger than soda-lime glass|
|Toughening Method||Ion-exchange process||Ion-exchange process|
|Thickness||0.4mm to 2mm||<1mm|
|Devices Used In||Smartphones, wearables, computers||Smartphones, wearables, displays|
|Brands Used By||Samsung, LG, Dell, Asus||Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC|
|Scratch Resistance||Very good||Good|
|Shatter Protection||Excellent||Very good|
|Optical Clarity||Very clear||Clear|
Main Differences Between Gorilla Glass and Panda Glass
- Gorilla Glass is manufactured by Corning while Panda Glass is manufactured by CEEG Nanjing Building Glass.
- Gorilla Glass was introduced in 2007, 3 years earlier than Panda Glass, which debuted in 2010.
- Panda Glass claims to be over 20 times stronger than regular glass, whereas Gorilla Glass is up to 2 times stronger.
- Gorilla Glass thickness ranges from 0.4mm to 2mm. Panda Glass is ultrathin at <1mm.
- Both use an ion-exchange chemical strengthening process to toughen the glass.
- Gorilla Glass is used in smartphones, wearables, and computers. Panda Glass also has similar applications.
- Key brands using Gorilla Glass include Samsung, LG, Dell, and Asus. Panda Glass is used by Samsung, LG, Sony, and HTC.
- Gorilla Glass offers better scratch resistance, while Panda Glass has higher flexibility.
- Gorilla Glass is more optically clear than Panda Glass.
- Panda Glass is cheaper in cost compared to Gorilla Glass.
- Gorilla Glass is more established in the market, whereas Panda Glass is a newer alternative.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.