What is Microsoft Bing?
Microsoft Bing, commonly referred to as Bing, is a web search engine owned and operated by Microsoft. The service traces back to Microsoft’s earlier search engines, including MSN Search, Windows Live Search, and Live Search. Bing offers a broad spectrum of search services, encompassing web, video, image, and map search products, all developed using ASP.NET. Bing also powers several other search engines, including Yahoo!
Bing has many features similar to Google, such as autosuggestions, currency conversions, and result tabs for images, videos, news, and shopping, amongst other common features. Bing considers more than 1000 signals to order websites on search engine result pages (SERP).
Bing Chat, also known as “the new Bing”, is an artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot developed by Microsoft and released in 2023. It is powered by the Microsoft Prometheus model, built on top of OpenAI’s GPT-4 foundational large language model (LLM). It has been fine-tuned using both supervised and reinforcement learning techniques.
Bing has received backlash over the years, with some finding its search results less quality than Google’s. However, Bing has continued to improve its search algorithms and features, and with the new Bing app, users can search and chat with Bing anytime, anywhere.
What is Microsoft Edge?
Microsoft Edge is a web browser developed by Microsoft that was first released in 2015. It is a proprietary, cross-platform browser that was initially built with Microsoft’s own proprietary browser engine, EdgeHTML, and their Chakra. However, it is now built on the same technology as Google Chrome. Microsoft Edge offers a fast and efficient browsing experience, with robust security features and deep integration with other Microsoft products and services.
Here are some of the main features of Microsoft Edge:
- AI capabilities: Microsoft Edge is an AI-powered browser that offers features like Clarity Boost, which optimizes cloud gaming, and Sleeping tabs, which boost browsing performance and speed.
- Built-in privacy: Microsoft Edge offers tracking prevention, AdBlock, and InPrivate browsing to help users stay safer online.
- Integration with other Microsoft services: Edge is deeply integrated with other Microsoft services and products, such as Cortana, Office, and OneDrive. It has features like Office Viewer, which allows you to open Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents with a simple click.
- Device syncing: Users can sync their history, bookmarks, passwords, and other data across different devices through a Microsoft account.
- Built-in learning and accessibility tools: Microsoft Edge offers the most comprehensive set of built-in learning and accessibility tools on the web, with Immersive Reader facilitating reading comprehension and Read Aloud letting students listen to webpages like podcasts.
- Shopping features: Microsoft Edge has built-in tools to help users save time and money while shopping online, such as coupons and price comparisons.
- Bing integration: With the new Bing app, users can search and chat with Bing anytime, anywhere, and get comprehensive answers and creative inspiration.
Overall, Microsoft Edge is a modern and versatile browser that offers a fast, secure, and integrated browsing experience for users.
Comparison Table Between Microsoft Bing and Microsoft Edge
|Features||Microsoft Bing||Microsoft Edge|
|Purpose||Bing is a search engine developed by Microsoft, providing web search services, image search, video search, news, and more.||Microsoft Edge is a web browser developed by Microsoft that allows users to browse the internet, manage bookmarks, access extensions, and sync across devices.|
|Functionality||Provides search engine services across various content types, including web, images, videos, news, and maps.||Functions as a web browser allowing users to browse websites, manage bookmarks, and access online content.|
|Primary Use||Users utilize Bing to conduct searches and find information on the web.||Edge is primarily used to access and navigate the internet, providing a platform for web browsing.|
|User Interface||Offers a search bar with different categories (web, images, videos, news, etc.) for searching.||Presents a browser interface with tabs, a URL bar, bookmarks, and settings for browsing the internet.|
|Integration||Integrated with Microsoft services and products, such as Windows and Office.||Integrated with Windows and has seamless integration with other Microsoft services like Microsoft 365.|
|Personalization||Provides personalized search results based on user history and preferences.||Offers a personalized browsing experience, including collections, favorites, and settings synchronization across devices.|
|Advanced Features||Includes features like Bing Visual Search, Bing Rewards, and AI-powered search enhancements.||Offers features such as built-in security tools, reading mode, collections, and integration with Microsoft services.|
|Accessibility||Available as a website and integrated into other Microsoft products like Windows and Office.||Available on various platforms including Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.|
|Mobile Apps||Offers Bing Search app for mobile devices.||Provides Microsoft Edge app for mobile devices running on various operating systems.|
|Adaptability||Adapts search results based on user queries and behavior.||Adapts features and browsing experience based on user preferences and syncs settings across devices.|
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.