Exact Answer: 24 hours
Grapes were first discovered in the Near East around 6000-8000 years ago. Grapes are a type of fruit that is usually eaten fresh.
They grow in clusters of 15-300 and are in various forms, such as crimson, pink, orange, yellow, green, black, and dark blue.
Grapes can be used in making vinegar, grape seed oil, wine jam, grape juice, and grape seed extract.
A wine such as red wine is usually made from fermented grape juice, which has a positive health benefit. This is because red wine is good for the heart. It prevents one from suffering from heart problems.
How Long Do Grapes Last?
|At room temperature||24 hours|
For starters, at room temperature, grapes can only last for 24 hours. Within those 24 hours, the grapes your grapes should be safe.
For grapes to last for the longest period, they should be stored in a freezer at a temperature of 0 0C.
In the freezer, they can have a shelf life of 10-12 months, which is the longest period of time. Though one should consider the following steps before storing the grapes in a freezer;
- The stems of grapes should be taken off
- Dry the grapes then place them in a tray inside the freezer
- When the grapes have frozen transfer them in an airtight container
Lastly, grapes can be refrigerated to increase its shelf life without getting spoilt. Refrigerated grapes can last for a period of 7-14 days.
This is done by avoiding washing the grapes before storing them in a refrigerator. Instead, one should wash the grapes before eating them that is after removing from the refrigerator.
Why Do Grapes Last That Long?
- Freezing grapes will not only give them a long shelf life but also it will retain its quality.
- Frozen grapes can last for 10-12 months. This is because when grapes are first put in a cookie sheet, then later transferred to a freezer-safe plastic bag; this will highly increase its shelf life.
- Thus, freezing grapes at a temperature of 0 0C make grapes to stay longer compared to other storage methods.
- Also, refrigerating grapes will make them to have a longer shelf life. Refrigerated grapes can last for 7-14 days.
- Grapes stored in a refrigerator are put in ventilated plastic bags. The main purpose of putting the grapes in a ventilated plastic bag is to avoid absorbing different odors from different types of other foods stored in a refrigerator.
- They can also be kept in airtight plastic bags or containers so as to be free from moisture. Hence the grapes can stay for a long period of time without getting spoilt.
- Lastly, at room temperature of 25 0C, grapes can last for 24 hours. Therefore, the grapes should be eaten within 24 hours.
- This is because it will likely be exposed to moisture and get spoilt if not consumed within 24 hours.