Exact Answer: Minimum 90m And Maximum 120m
Football, also known as soccer, is an outdoor sport played between two teams of eleven players with a spherical ball. Football is one of the world’s most popular sport. It belongs to the family of team sports as it involves two teams that compete with one another and kick the ball to score a goal.
Table of Contents
The football field is a rectangular pitch wherein the game of football takes place. It is the playing surface for the game. Its width, length, and dimensions can vary from place to place but the standard dimensions are prescribed by the country’s sports association.
The Indian national football team is the national football team of India and is governed by the All India Football Federation (AIFF). It is a member of the Asian Football Confederation. The AIFF has been affiliated with FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) and thus follows the field dimensions prescribed by it.
How Long Is a Football Field?
|Parameter||In Metres||In Yards|
Football matches are played on natural fields or artificial surfaces, according to the rules of the competition. The color of the artificial surfaces must be green. The football field is rectangular in shape and marked with several lines. These lines denote the areas which are declared as boundaries. The two longer boundary lines are called touchlines. The two shorter lines on the field are known as goal lines.
Within the outer limits of the pitch, there are several carefully measured out markings, all painted in white. These are painted manually and require at least two coats of the layer to ensure their brightness. They are often repainted on match days and the final cut of the turf a few hours before the kick-off. All lines need to be the same in width, which must not exceed 12 centimeters.
Both goal lines on the field have to be of the same width as the goalposts and the crossbars. The football field is divided into two halves by a halfway line. This halfway line joins the midpoints of the two touchlines. The center mark is indicated at the midpoint of the halfway line. A circle of approximately 9.15m is marked around it.
Additionals marks may also be made off the field, approx. 9.15m from the corner arc and at right angles to the goal lines and touchlines, to ensure that defending players retreat this distance when a corner kick is being taken.
Why Is A Football Field So Long?
The football field constitutes the most important element of the game as, without it, it would be impossible to play football.
The football field has to be sufficiently long as it has to encompass many areas like the goal area, penalty area, flagposts, corner arc, etc. The dimensions of various areas in the football field are as follow:
- The goal area – Two lines are drawn at right angles to the goal line, 5.5m from the inside of each goalpost. these lines extend into the field of play for a distance of 5.5m and are further joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line. The area that is bounded by these lines and the goal line is the goal area.
- The penalty area – Another set of the two lines are drawn at right lies to the goal line, 16.5m from the inside of each goalpost. These lines extend into the field for a distance of 16.5m and are joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line. The area that is bounded by these lines and the goal line is the penalty area. Within each penalty area, a penalty mark is made 11m from the midpoint between the goalposts.
- Flagposts – A flag post is not less than 1.5m high, with a non-pointed top and a flag placed at each corner. They may also be placed at each end of the halfway line, not less than 1m outside the touch line.
- The corner arc – A quarter circle with a radius of 1m from each corner flagpost is drawn inside the football field.
- Goals – A goal must be played at the centre of each goal line. It consists of two upright posts which are at equal distance from the corner flagposts and joined at the top by a horizontal crossbar. The distance between the posts is 7.32m and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44m.
Football is definitely one of the most popular pass times in the world, with an estimated 3.5 billion people enjoying this sport. People all around the world sit and enjoy watching football on TV, cheering their favorite players as they kick the ball across the field and secure a goal, not even thinking about the rules and regulations of the game.
Football fields vary in length and width depending on how they are used and where they are located. However, the general rule of thumb is that a field should be between 90 to 120m long in length and 45 to 90m wide in width.
Thus, after familiarizing ourselves with official FIFA guidelines about the field dimensions, one can become a sightly more appreciative of the sport that has been around and growing for more than 2000 years.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️