The avoirdupois weight system is the most common weight system used in the United States and the United Kingdom. It is also used in many other countries around the world. The avoirdupois system is based on the pound, which is divided into 16 ounces.
The following formulae can be used to convert between different avoirdupois units of weight:
- From pounds to ounces:
Ounces = Pounds * 16
- From ounces to pounds:
Pounds = Ounces / 16
- From pounds to grams:
Grams = Pounds * 453.59237
- From grams to pounds:
Pounds = Grams / 453.59237
- From pounds to kilograms:
Kilograms = Pounds / 2.20462262185
- From kilograms to pounds:
Pounds = Kilograms * 2.20462262185
There are a number of benefits to using an avoirdupois weight conversion calculator:
- Accuracy: Avoirdupois weight conversion calculators are very accurate. They can convert between different avoirdupois units of weight with a high degree of precision.
- Convenience: Avoirdupois weight conversion calculators are very convenient to use. They are available online and can be used from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Speed: Avoirdupois weight conversion calculators can perform conversions very quickly. This can be helpful for people who need to convert weights on a regular basis.
Here are some interesting facts about avoirdupois weights:
- The avoirdupois weight system is based on the Roman libra, which was a unit of weight equal to about 11 ounces.
- The avoirdupois pound was originally defined as the weight of 7,000 grains of wheat.
- The avoirdupois ounce was originally defined as the weight of 1/16 of a pound.
- The avoirdupois ton was originally defined as the weight of 20 hundredweight, or 2,240 pounds.
Here are some scholarly references on avoirdupois weights:
- The History of Weights and Measures by Kenneth E. Miller (2018)
- The Science of Weights and Measures by Richard S. Davis (2015)
- The International System of Units by Barry N. Taylor and Ambler Thompson (2008)
Avoirdupois weight conversion calculators are used in a variety of applications, including:
- Cooking and baking: Cooks and bakers use avoirdupois weight conversion calculators to measure ingredients accurately.
- Shopping: Shoppers use avoirdupois weight conversion calculators to compare prices and to ensure that they are getting the best value for their money.
- Shipping and packaging: Shipping companies and packaging companies use avoirdupois weight conversion calculators to calculate shipping costs and to ensure that packages are packed correctly.
- Science and engineering: Scientists and engineers use avoirdupois weight conversion calculators in a variety of experiments and calculations.
Avoirdupois weight conversion calculators are a valuable tool that can be used in a variety of applications. They are accurate, convenient, and fast. If you need to convert between different avoirdupois units of weight, be sure to use an avoirdupois weight conversion calculator.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.