Exact Answer: 2 Hours – 2 Days
A mushroom is a type of fungi that has a stalk and an umbrella-shaped cap or head. Most mushrooms are edible and are used in a variety of cuisines all across the world. Mushrooms can be cooked in several ways like it can be stir-fried, roasted, sauteed, fried, grilled, added in soups, or used as toppings in pizza, etc.
Table of Contents
It is generally more commonly used in Asian and European cuisines for its distinctive taste and rich flavor. Mushrooms are an excellent substitute for meat in dishes and hence are also called the ‘meat of the vegetable world’. However, it is pertinent to remember that not all mushrooms can be consumed as some are highly toxic and also poisonous.
How Long Do Cooked Mushrooms Last?
|Cooked mushrooms kept at room temperature||2 hours|
|Cooked mushrooms kept inside a refrigerator||2 – 4 days|
Mushrooms when added to any recipe can elevate the entire dish to the next level. They are extremely easy to cook and go well with almost all recipes. Along with being tasty, mushrooms are also highly nutritious, and thus adding them to dishes is always a great choice.
However, just like all other cooking ingredients, mushrooms too don’t last for eternity. Especially cooked mushrooms have to be consumed within a specific timeframe otherwise they might become stale and go bad which might have negative consequences on one’s health.
Cooked mushrooms have a shorter shelf-life as compared to uncooked ones. Once the mushrooms are cooked it is highly advisable to consume them as soon as possible to enjoy their maximum taste. If stored beyond a certain number of days, mushrooms might lose all their freshness and might taste bland even if it is cooked properly.
The USDA i.e the United States Department of Agricultural recommends that nearly all cooked leftovers should be used or consumed within 3 – 4 days after cooking. Thus, it can be said that cooked mushrooms can last for about 2 to 4 days in a refrigerator at a temperature that is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Keeping food at a low temperature like inside a fridge slows down bacterial growth and thus food lasts for a comparatively longer duration than it would if kept at room temperature. Hence, if a mushroom that is cooked is left out in the open, it might last only for about 2 hours.
Why Do Cooked Mushrooms Last This Long?
The exact answer to the question regarding how long can cooked mushrooms last depends to a large extent on the conditions of storage after cooking. As the temperature inside and outside the fridge differs and so does the speed of bacterial growth, where the cooked mushrooms were stored assumes huge importance.
After cooking, mushrooms might become soft and mushy, and if not stored properly it might quickly go bad as it is susceptible to spoilage. Thus, properly storing cooked mushrooms in an airtight container could help in keeping cooked mushrooms fresh and safe for consumption for the maximum duration possible.
It is preferable to refrigerate cooked mushrooms as by doing so one can store them for about 2 to 4 days as opposed to keeping them out at room temperature where they would last only for about a few hours.
Bacterial multiplies at a faster rate at temperatures between 40 degrees to 140 degrees. Thus, if one wants their cooked mushrooms to last long and not get spoiled within a few hours of cooking, it is better to store them in properly sealed or covered containers inside the fridge.
It is extremely important to discard the cooked mushrooms which have gone bad or have been stored for a longer duration than the optimal period. Consuming such spoiled mushrooms can be detrimental to one’s health as it might lead to food poisoning.
Mushrooms are a versatile addition to any dish as they taste delicious. However, after cooking, mushrooms do not last for long and hence must be immediately consumed. At normal temperatures, cooked mushrooms can last for a few hours. However, if kept inside a refrigerator, they can last for a few days.
If stored beyond 5 – 7 days, cooked mushrooms can get spoiled and become unfit for consumption. Spoiled mushrooms can be easily identified by their smell or appearance and must be immediately discarded and should not be consumed.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️