Exact Answer: 7 days
Everybody enjoys having a nice slice of cake every so often. While it may not necessarily be the best for you health-wise, it’s really rather tasty and having a bit every so often never hurt anyone before. However, eating spoiled or rancid cake absolutely has hurt someone before.
Table of Contents
This is why it’s important to realize just how long cake stays good for and depending on the storage method, it may be longer than you’d think. Such things depend on how a cake was made, and how it’s stored, though results may vary depending on how properly the cake is stored as well.
How Long Does Cake Last?
Depending on the type of cake, a cake may last for a few weeks to even longer. For instance, there are a few different methods and results, such as:
- In the fridge, covered: A freshly baked caked stored in the refrigerator covered will stay good for about a week, depending on the ingredients used to make the cake.
- In the fridge, uncovered: A freshly baked cake stored in the refrigerator uncovered will stay good for just 2 to 4 days before bacteria may affect the taste and freshness. Fridge odors will also change the freshness and even dry the cake out.
- On the counter: A cake left on the counter usually stays fresh for about 3 days at normal room temperatures of around seventy degrees.
- Pre-packaged: A prepackaged cake will stay good for at least as long as the sell-by date. Store the cake as it advises on the packaging for best results.
- In the freezer: A cake stored wrapped in the freezer will last for 1 year or longer. However, the optimal freshness will decrease after about 6 months.
It should be noted that any cake made with eggs, buttercream, whipped cream or any excess of dairy should not be stored on the counter and should be refrigerated and covered immediately. Such highly perishable items are not safe to eat after being left out on the counter for more than a few hours.
|Method of Storage||Time of Freshness|
|In the fridge, covered||About 1 week|
|In the fridge, uncovered||2-4 days|
|On counter||3 days|
|Pre-packaged||Sell-by date/ few weeks|
|Frozen, wrapped||6 months to 1 year|
Why do Cakes Last That Long?
Figuring out why a cake will stay fresh for as long as it will depend primarily on the ingredients used to make the cake as well as the method of storing the cake.
Cakes baked with a lot of eggs and dairy will spoil quicker than those made with less. This type of cake should be refrigerated instantly, especially if not store-bought as homemade cakes lack the preservatives that store-bought cakes have.
Cakes frosted with whipped cream or buttercream may lose freshness quicker and should be stored properly to prevent early spoil or waste.
However, all cakes should be stored properly. One should never eat a cake that smells or looks spoilt in any way. If you suspect your cake may have gone bad, it’s best not to eat it, otherwise, you may be risking your health.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️