How Long Does Watermelon Last (And Why)?

How Long Does Watermelon Last (And Why)?

Exact Answer: 6-8 Days

After you’ve worked out how to select a watermelon at the shop and perfected the art of slicing watermelon into bite-size chunks, it’s necessary to study how to preserve a watermelon so you can preserve it as fresh as possible.

The best part is that watermelons have a lengthy shelf life: three to four weeks from the time they’re picked off the vine, according to the National Watermelon Promotion Board’s specialists.

The most convenient place to keep a whole watermelon is on your kitchen counter, at or just below room temperature. That’s also perhaps the best approach to keep the texture and quality intact.

However, keep in mind that the time spent delivering the fruit to the store is included in that frame, so once the watermelon is on your shelf, you only have approximately a week to use it.

How Long Does Watermelon Last?

At Room Temperature7 To 10 Days
In Fridge3 Weeks

Watermelon, like many other fruits, can rot fast. The end date on the label of pre-cut watermelon packets was always present, and you should pay attention to it. The issue is that while rotting watermelon may appear and smell normal, its sour flavour indicates that it is no longer edible.

Keep in mind that keeping this fruit whole and cutting it right before eating will help it retain its quality. If you plan to preserve it for an extended period, the norm is to keep it at lower temperatures.

Watermelon, like other fruits, doesn’t keep for long, but you can keep the full fruit at room temperature for around a week or even up to ten days in some situations. If you keep it in the fridge for three weeks, it should be fine.

Unfortunately, based on its original quality, the time of harvesting, how it was stored before purchase, and extra treatment, you must consume your watermelon within a day or keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days after cutting it. Watermelon can only be stored for a long time by freezing it.

Once you’ve sliced the watermelon into slices, package the leftovers right and keep them in the fridge. Wrap the fruit tightly in plastic or aluminium wrap or store smaller portions in a resealable bag or airtight container. That way, you’ll be able to savour your delicacy for several days.

If you buy carefully sealed quarters from the supermarket, they will be encased in plastic. If you can’t finish the whole piece right away, keep the fruit in the same way. Before putting it in the fridge or freezer, cut more than you need and rewrap the rest.

Why Does Watermelon Last For That Long?

Watermelon contains about 92 percent water, but the remaining 8% is high in vitamins, antioxidants, lycopene, and amino acids, making it a nutritious diet. These are the factors that make it difficult for us to preserve it for an extended period.

Food illness can occur fast if you eat rotten watermelon. Within a few hours, you’ll notice the first indicators that anything is awry, which include: Fatigue, Headache, Nausea and Diarrhea.

The patient may have a higher temperature, joint discomfort, and cramping in extreme cases. Food illness caused by Listeria, which can grow on the watermelon rind and infect the flesh after cutting, is another hazard.

If you have diabetes, you should avoid this fruit because it has high natural sugar content. In rare situations, watermelon can trigger an allergic reaction, resulting in difficulties breathing and swelling following eating.

Since watermelon has high water content, freezing is not the greatest option for storing it. In truth, it is the appearance of the fruit after thawing that is troublesome, not the freezing procedure.

When you defrost it, you’ll get a mushy red component that lacks the colour and flavour you want. Frozen watermelon, on the other hand, can be used to produce fruit-infused water and smoothies.


To avoid unexpected shocks, strictly adhere to the watermelon shelf life. When purchasing pre-cut fruit, this is especially important. Watermelon spoils quickly, but detecting the indicators of spoiling is not difficult. Before buying a watermelon, make sure to inspect the exterior and flesh. Then, to extend the life of the fruit, make sure you store it properly.


dot 1
One request?

I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️

Avatar of Nidhi


Hi! I'm Nidhi.

Here at the EHL, it's all about delicious, easy recipes for casual entertaining. So come and join me at the beach, relax and enjoy the food.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *