What is Followers on Instagram?
Followers on Instagram refer to the individuals who have chosen to subscribe to your Instagram account and receive updates from you in their Instagram feed. In other words, users have opted to “follow” your Instagram profile to see the photos, videos, stories, and posts you share on the platform.
Key points about Instagram followers include:
- Connection: When someone follows your Instagram account, they connect to you on the platform, and your posts appear in their feed.
- Visibility: Your followers can see your public posts, but they won’t be able to see your private or restricted content unless you grant them access.
- Notifications: Followers may receive notifications when you publish a new post or story, depending on their notification settings.
- Interactions: Followers can like, comment on, and share your posts, as well as send you direct messages through Instagram’s messaging feature.
- Privacy Settings: Instagram offers privacy settings that allow you to control who can follow you. You can have a public account, which allows anyone to follow you, or a private account, which requires you to approve follower requests.
- Follow Count: The number of followers you have is publicly displayed on your Instagram profile. It represents the size of your Instagram audience.
What is Following on Instagram
Following on Instagram refers to subscribing to and following other users’ accounts on the platform. When you follow an Instagram account, you connect to that user, and their posts and updates will appear in your Instagram feed. Essentially, it’s a way of staying updated with the content shared by accounts you’re interested in.
Key points about following on Instagram include:
- Connection: Following someone establishes a connection between your Instagram account and your following account. This means that you can see their posts and stories in your feed.
- Feed Updates: Posts from the accounts you follow will appear in your Instagram feed, allowing you to scroll through and interact with their content.
- Notifications: Depending on your notification settings, you may receive notifications when the accounts you follow post new content, go live or interact with your posts.
- Interactions: You can like, comment on, and share the posts of accounts you follow. You can also send direct messages to these accounts.
- Privacy Settings: Instagram offers privacy settings that allow you to control who can follow you. You can have a public account, which means anyone can follow you, or a private account, which requires you to approve follower requests.
- Explore and Discover: Following accounts that align with your interests allows you to discover new content, connect with like-minded users, and explore various topics and niches.
- Following Count: Your Instagram profile displays the number of accounts you follow. This count represents the number of accounts you’re subscribed to.
Comparison Table Between Followers and Following on Instagram
|Definition||Users who subscribe to your Instagram account and see your posts in their feed.||Accounts that you subscribe to and whose posts you see in your feed.|
|Relationship||Followers are users who have chosen to follow you.||Following represents the accounts you have chosen to follow.|
|Visibility||Your followers can see your public posts in their feed.||You can see the public posts of the accounts you follow in your feed.|
|Interaction||Followers can like, comment on, and share your posts, as well as send you direct messages.||You can like, comment on, and share posts of the accounts you follow, and send them direct messages.|
|Notifications||You may receive notifications when your followers like, comment on, or interact with your posts.||You may receive notifications when accounts you follow post new content, go live, or interact with your posts.|
|Privacy Settings||You can have a public or private account, controlling who can follow you.||Your following list is generally public, but you can choose to hide it on your profile.|
|Feed Content||Your followers’ posts do not appear in your feed (unless you also follow them).||Posts from the accounts you follow appear in your feed.|
|Explore and Discover||Your followers do not affect what content you see in your feed.||Your following list determines the content you see in your feed, helping you explore and discover new accounts and content.|
|Number Displayed on Profile||The number of followers you have is displayed on your Instagram profile.||The number of accounts you follow is displayed on your Instagram profile.|
Main Differences Between Followers and Following on Instagram
- Incoming Connection: Followers are users who have chosen to connect with and subscribe to your Instagram account. They initiate the connection by clicking your profile’s “Follow” button.
- Control Over Your Account: You have control over who can follow you on Instagram. You can set your account to be public, allowing anyone to follow you, or private, which requires you to approve follower requests.
- Follower Requests: If your account is set to private, you will receive follower requests from users who want to follow you. You can choose to accept or decline these requests.
- Follower Count: Your number of followers is publicly displayed on your Instagram profile, indicating your account’s popularity and reach.
- Visibility: Your followers can see your public posts in their feed, which means they can access your content and updates.
- Engagement Metrics: You can view engagement metrics, such as likes, comments, and shares, from your followers on your posts. This data helps you understand how your content is received.
- Outgoing Connection: Following represents the accounts you have chosen to subscribe to and see updates from. You initiate the connection by clicking the “Follow” button on other users’ profiles.
- Control Over Your Feed: You have control over the accounts you follow on Instagram. You can follow or unfollow accounts at any time, shaping the content in your feed.
- Public List: Your list of accounts you follow is generally public and can be viewed by other Instagram users unless you choose to hide it from your profile.
- Feed Content: Posts from the accounts you follow appear in your feed, allowing you to see updates from these accounts without visiting their profiles individually.
- Discovery: Your following list is a way to discover new content, accounts, and interests on Instagram. Following accounts that align with your interests, you curate your feed to reflect the engaging content.
- Customization: Following allows you to customize your Instagram experience by selecting accounts that align with your preferences and interests.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.