Exact Answer: 5-7 days
A bagel which can also be called a beigel is a product of bread that has its origin the communities of Jewish people in Poland. Traditionally, it is shaped by the use of hands to make a shape of a ring out of wheat dough that has been yeasted.
It is usually boiled in water for a short period of time before it is baked.
The bagel has three main variations which are the East Coast Style bagel, Montreal-style bagel, and the pizza bagel. It is known to contain around 250 calories. A bagel is usually preserved to maintain its quality and last longer.
How long do Bagels last?
Bagels usually come with a shelf life that is just the same as other normal bread and baked commodities. Almost all bagels come with a sell-by or expiry date on their packages and an individual should always check on these dates when buying them.
Bagels can be stored for a certain period of time while maintaining their quality and taste when preserved in the correct manner. This usually on a number of certain factors in relation to their storage. The following is a guideline on how long bagels can last when preserved in the right manner;
- Fresh bagels from the bakery can be kept in the counter or pantry for about 5-7 days. However, one should note that after the second or third day, the bagels will start becoming somehow stale.
- Freshly baked bagels will last for at most 3 days when properly stored in the normal room temperature.
- When baked bagels are refrigerated, they tend to dry out faster and become a bit stale.
- Freshly baked bagel and soft packaged bagels can be frozen for up to six months.
- Soft packaged bagels can last for 7-14 days in the refrigerator.
|Open/unopened bagels||Room temperature||Refrigerator||Freezer|
|Soft packed bagels||5-7 days||7-14 days||6 months|
|Bakery bagels||2-3 days||Not recommended||6 months|
Why do Bagels last for long?
There are a number of reasons that make bagels last for long when stored in the pantry, refrigerator or when they are completely frozen. Some of the reasons that make bagels to last for long include the following;
- When baked bagels that are fully cooled are stored in plastic bags that are sealed they tend to last for long at the normal room temperature.
- When freshly baked bagels are stored in the refrigerator, they never last for long because they dry out and become stale faster as compared to when stored at room temperature.
- Bagels in the freezer usually get sliced into half and are then wrapped with an aluminum foil before being placed into a heavy-duty freezer bag. This makes them last for longer periods of time.
- The freezer should always be kept at 0 degrees Fahrenheit to make the bagels remain fresh for longer periods.
It is advisable for individuals to check the state of stored bagels before consuming them. This will help in avoiding the consumption of spoiled bagels.