Exact Answer: After 15 to 30 minutes
In the previous years, there has been a huge amount of increase in the use of sugar substitutes and some agents of sweetening. And among them one of the most easily found agents is xylitol. It is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol that is found in some fruits and other vegetables.
This agent which we came to know as xylitol can be found in many existing products. It is found among products like chewing gum and other chewable vitamins. Apart from that, it is also becoming much more popular in baking items. This means that there can be a possibility that this xylitol can be present in food items like cakes and other sweet treats.
How Long After A Dog Eats Xylitol?
|Minimum Time Taken for the Symptoms||After 30 minutes|
|Maximum Time Taken for the Symptoms||Within 12 hours|
Serious health does arise and occur to dogs even if they intake very less or regardless of any amount of xylitol. So, as per the rule of thumb, it is always made up to an estimation that 60 to 100 mg of xylitol per kilogram of weight of the body can cause and lead to hypoglycemia. Xylitol becomes even more toxic to the dogs than the usual stimulant theobromine if given an inaccurate amount.
This is found mainly in chocolate. This poisoning of xylitol in dogs is quite common among them. It mostly occurs as a result of when the dogs start eating some of its non-eating items like chewing gum and most specifically it is the sugar-free variety. It is also reported quite many times that some of the brands contain just as one gram in each of its pieces. It means that it can take just mere four pieces of those xylitol gums to leave a god of 30kg mostly ill.
The blood sugar level is mainly administered and controlled by insulin not only in humans but also in non-primates just as the dogs or cats. And insulin is a certain hormone that gets released from the pancreas. And if the insulin doesn’t get produced then it results in sugar diabetes. But what happens in humans is the xylitol release of the insulin doesn’t get stimulated. But the case in dogs is certainly different because they absorb it very quickly. And after ingesting the xylitol the dogs start showing the symptoms in no more time than in those first half an hour.
Why Does It Take So Long After A Dog Eats Xylitol?
So before proceeding further into this acclaimed topic, a thing must be made clear that all the statements made or facts and figures given are only based upon some thorough research about the topic including mere assumptions. So now as already, we have answered how long it will take for the dog after it consumes the xylitol poison.
But now after this, another will get raised over your mind. Why will it take this long period for the dog after it consumes the xylitol poison? As it needs valid reasons to justify why it takes this long. So let’s go through the seasons ahead.
So this poisonous substance xylitol is mainly or naturally found in substances like a mushroom, wild or normal berries, lettuce, and other food items like cakes or chewing gum. But the thing is all these substances are considered and known as completely safe for human beings as a fine substitute for sugar. But on the other hand, are very highly dangerous for the dogs and can be proved as a risk to their respective lives. The dogs with a rapid rate get affected by the poisonous xylitol because it gets into their bloodstream too fast.
Deficiency of potassium also known as hypokalaemia and low phosphate levels can cause further distress in them. And then it shows the symptoms in their respective bodies within 15 to 30 minutes. The poisonous effects of the xylitol lead to liver damage in dogs. Hence, it should be consumed within proper limits.
So at last with all the reasons provided this thing came into the limelight that how long and why this long after a certain dog consumes this poisonous xylitol it shows the symptoms. This xylitol is mainly a sweet-making substance that is quite harmless and a more cherishing substance to humans by adding flavors to their respective tastes. But it is proven to be very harmful to dogs.
It is mostly advised by many of the veterinarians around the world to keep their respective dogs away from these sweet substances which contain xylitol for humans to consume. The dogs must be taken care of by their owners in such and such way.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.