Exact Answer: Almost 26 Years
Have you ever been so tired that you just want to give your eyes a rest?
Sleep is one of the most important biological motives in our life. It is quite essential for us, as it affects our physical as well as mental health.
Sleep is the rest mode for us, but for the body, it’s the time to heal and restore energy so that we feel refreshed the next day.
How Long does a Person Sleep in Their Lifetime?
|1-11 months||14-17 hours|
|1-3 years||12-14 hours|
|4-5 years||10-13 hours|
|6-13 years||9-11 hours|
|14-17 years||8-10 hours|
|18-65 years and more||7-8 hours|
If we calculate the hours of sleep required at every stage of life, it shows that an average person sleeps for about 26 years of his life, i.e., 7-8 hours/day. It means that a person spends almost 1/3 of his life, sleeping.
- New-born: New-borns tend to fall asleep as soon as their small stomachs get filled. This is because their body is still developing and they can’t keep their eyes open for long. Scientific research proves that new-borns growth happens mostly in their sleep.
- Toddlers (1-3yrs): Toddlers tend to sleep when they get tired from their play. Their energy drains off quickly, and to refill it, they take about 2-3 naps a day.
- Pre-schoolers (4-5yrs): Kids also cannot control their sleep for too long. They need 10-13hrs of sleep, which is important for them as they’re still in their development stage, and also to recover their energy.
- School-age (6-13yrs): Children from 6-13yrs requires about 9-11hrs of sleep, to maintain their mental health. Not getting enough sleep may lead to problems like hyperactivity, attention, etc.
- Teenagers (14-17yrs): Teenagers also require 8-10hrs of sleep for their emotional development.
- Adults (18-65yrs and more): Adults can work for more hours, and they have comparatively more energy than children. Adults require sleep of only 7-8hrs so that, they can get some rest and restore their energy.
There are some exceptions as well. It is observed that working people sleep less, due to work tension and other mental problems. Mental problems in young children can also lead to sleep deprivation. This leads to less amount of sleep overall in a lifetime.
Why do People Sleep So Much in Their Lifetime?
We feel tired because of the excessive accumulation of a toxin named “Lactic acid”, due to which we feel the need to sleep. After we sleep, this toxin disappears and we feel quite energetic.
Following are the reasons why we need to sleep:
- Full brain function- Lack of sleep may result in low brain functioning, i.e., troubles in recalling and concentration. After a good sleep, your brain is refreshed and helps in storing new and recalling older information, improves our decision-making, and decreases error-making.
- Good mood- Getting enough sleep will help you to reduce stress, anxiety, irritability, or any other emotional problems. It’ll surely put you in a good mood, and help you in being optimistic throughout the day.
- Proper fitness- Believe it or not, but sleep also helps you in weight control. Lack of sleep may result in hormonal imbalance, which is responsible for controlling appetite. This may lead to overeating or the temptation to eat unhealthy food. A night of good sleep will work towards maintaining the balance between your hormones and appetite.
- Improved immune system- Lack of sleep may cause serious issues of diabetes, memory loss, hallucinations, trembling hands, and high blood pressure as well. That is why human beings need to sleep.
In short, it helps in maintaining our physical as well as emotional well-being.
Thus, it proves that good sleep is a very essential aspect, as it helps in regulating your everyday life. Although some people might think that spending 1/3 of life in sleep is such a waste, but in reality, it’s not.
It almost controls everything in your life, your dreams as well. Don’t skip on your good night’s sleep and your dreams.
Tired? Have a nap, then.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.