How Long Does It Take For Black Mold To Kill You (And Why)?

How Long Does It Take For Black Mold To Kill You (And Why)?

Exact Answer: 2 To 3 Weeks (In Acute Cases)

Though not just black mold but many other types of mold cause health problems as well. However, black mold is found to be more dangerous to health as it causes severe health issues.

The main reason behind black mold and other types of molds being dangerous for health is because these fungi produce and release a specific kind of chemical, or to be more specific, a toxin. The name of the toxin is mycotoxin which can cause a health problem in humans which is known as mycotoxicosis. Therefore, black mold is also known as toxin mold.

43 10

How Long Does It Take For Black Mold To KIll You?

Mycotoxicosis is a health condition in humans that is an acute chronic issue. Mycotoxins can cause toxicological effects on the body which majorly consist of allergy, infections, and irritations.

However, putting the situations under medical consideration, according to medical sciences and research, it is quite impossible for the black mold to kill a human. Even if the person stays in touch with black mold, or inhales mycotoxin or any other such severe condition, black mold would not cause death to any. Especially, if the person has a great immune system and a higher rate of metabolism, black mold would cause only some mere allergies or infections to that person, nothing more than that.

While on the other hand, if the person has a really weak immune system or a very low rate of metabolism, black mold, and mycotoxin can attack that person and cause severe health issues. Moreover, in acute cases, the health issues can get more severe and result in his or her death.

The cases for a very weak immune system in humans is majorly found in young infants and very elderly people. These people are very prone to catching mycotoxicosis and it might even turn out to be fatal. In these cases, it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for the black mold to kill the infected person.

Condition Of The Immune System Of The Infected PersonTime
Strong immune systemNo death
Weak immune system2 to 3 weeks

Why Does It Take That Long For Black Mold To Kill You?

Black Mold or also known as toxic molds are believed to be very dangerous to human health as it can cause many serious health issues, especially for people with a weakened immune system. If any person stays in contact with the black mold for a prolonged span of time, the black mold can start affecting the person causing symptoms.

If not direct contact with the black mold, indirect contact with it can be equally harmful as well. Indirect contact with the black mold could be through touching any objects which have traces of black mold in them.

Apart from infants and very elderly people, black mold can even severely affect people with a compromised immune system and people who already have illnesses. People with compromised immune systems are majorly the ones who either have already gone through surgeries or operations or are about to undergo any surgery or an operation. When a person is about to have surgery such as an organ transplant, or heart operation, or any other kind of surgery, their body is artificially given medicines that weaken their immune system. The reason behind that is so that the body does not react with the foreign parts and make the surgeries and operations fail.

Secondly, people who already have illnesses can be severely affected by black mold too. Among all the types of illnesses, people having illnesses that either affect their immune system or their respiratory system are most prone to catching mycotoxicosis. Lastly, black mold can affect more severely and even cause death to people having mold allergies, or to be more specific, people having black mold allergies. One can easily find out if he or she has mold allergy or black mold allergy by taking an allergy test.


When infected by the toxin, a number of symptoms appear for mycotoxicosis. These symptoms could be as, cough, dry and scaly skin, irritated eyes, runny or stuffed nose, sneezing, itchy throat, difficulty in breathing, and watery eyes.


dot 1
One request?

I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *