Exact Answer: 6-12 months
Coding is the act of creating code for computer programming. Coding is what enables individuals to easily create software for computers as well as computer apps and websites. The apps and browsers used in a phone are all made by the use of a specific code.
In this digital era, coding is regarded as a fundamental literacy. It is crucial for all individuals to have a good understanding and be able to use and apply the technology at their disposal. Coding is very helpful to individuals when it comes to communication, math, creativity, confidence as well as writing.
How long does it take to learn coding?
The length of time an individual may take to learn the art of coding is mainly dependent on the approach one opts for. In most cases, it will take one approximately 3 to 6 months to learn and understand the fundamentals of coding.
There are numerous ways one can use to learn to code. The time taken to learn to code using these various ways varies greatly. This ways include;
- The most popular method of learning how to code is the self- teaching method since it is more flexible and cheap. This method will basically take an individual around 6 to 12 months to have a clear understanding of the coding art.
- Another way to learn to code is by enrolling for a college degree in computer science. This method will take one 4 or more years to learn to code depending on an individual’s choice and specialization.
- An individual can also learn to code by attending coding boot camps. These boot camps are mainly short and will take an individual less time to learn the basics of coding. Most of them last for only 3 to 6 months.
|Method of learning||Time that is taken to learn to code|
|Self- teaching||6 – 12 months|
|Coding boot camps||3 – 6 months|
|College degree||4+ years|
Why does it take that long to learn to code?
The method used in learning the art of coding usually determines the amount of time it will take. This is because each of the methods comes with different approaches to learn to code. This includes;
- Individuals who learn to code by attending the boot camps take the shortest time. This is mainly because boot camps are short term programs and teach an individual the basics to kick start a career in coding. They expose an individual to instructors, projects and many other important resources for learning.
- The self-teaching way is another method that takes considerably less time to learn to code. It mainly involves applying for online courses, using books, websites, and apps to learn the skills of coding. The time taken to learn to code through this method is dependent on the attitude and motivation of an individual.
- For the college degree, the time taken to learn to code is standard in many colleges. It is the most effective method of all as it equips the individual with the right skills and techniques.
Learning the art of coding is an ongoing process that continues even after school or the boot camps. Therefore it is important for individuals to keep this in mind when coding.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website.
I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at ExactlyHowLong, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.
In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.
In short, if it’s creative and you can make it digitally, I love it.