Exact Answer- 145 Minutes/Day
In this fast-pacing world, you’ll rarely meet someone who isn’t on social media. It has become an indispensable part of our life, and now we can hardly imagine our life without it.
Have you ever wondered why we’re so engrossed in social media? What is it that attracts us? And how much we use it?
Social media has made it available for people to meet and engage with new people, explore new things, for entertainment, getting updates, etc.
How Long does a Person Spend on Social Media?
|1 hour 25 minutes
It is recorded that in the year 2020, the average time a person spends on social media is approximately 145 minutes, i.e., 2 hours and 25 minutes, per day.
When this new feature of social media was first introduced to us in 1997, not many people were drawn to it. But as platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter were introduced, the number of people using them has been increasing day by day.
The amount of time a person uses has been increasing since then as well. But the time spent can vary from person to person, and the platform they’re using. Some of the most used platforms are noted below:
- Facebook: Although Facebook was used by millions, day by day the users spend less time on Facebook as compared to previous years. From more than 1 hour per day, it is 38 minutes now. This is because the youngsters are more attracted to platforms like Instagram, TikTok, etc.
- Instagram: Instagram is beating every social media platform, by introducing new attractive features. Day by day, the time spend on Instagram is also increasing. The average time spent is 1 hour 25 minutes but can vary from person to person.
- YouTube: YouTube is the 2nd most popular platform, which enables people to create, edit and watch their favorite videos. A person spends an average of 1 hour on YouTube, but again it can vary from what they’re watching.
- TikTok: TikTok is another popular trend these days. It provides a place for people to accept dance challenges or acting challenges from popular songs and videos. In a short period, TikTok has gained love from many people all over the world, who spend an average of 52 minutes per day.
Why do People Spend So Much Time on Social Media?
Following are some of the features of social media, due to which people like to spend time on social media.
- Getting updates: Many people nowadays don’t have enough time to read newspapers to keep themselves updated. Social media has made it possible for them to educate themselves and get updates anytime and anywhere.
- Entertainment purpose: Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. have allowed people to be a part of their favorite celebrity’s life and sometimes, even converse with them. Another platform that is popular for entertainment purposes is YouTube. It offers people to search, download, and watch their favorite videos anytime they want.
- Personal Use: With the developing technology, now many people use social media platforms of Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, etc. to chat with their loved ones, share their moments by posting them, and much more. Many businesses also use such platforms to promote their products and for getting feedbacks.
Social media is a daily routine for everyone, where we meet several people every day and exchange our stories.
Even though social media has its pros and cons, it has now become something we can’t live without.
We can now say that everything we yearn for is just around the corner.
Last Updated : 23 February, 2024
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of ExactlyHowLong.com website. I am a professional full-time blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. In game development, I love playing with every different engine, toolset, and framework I can find. In digital art, I love everything from painting to vector work to pixel art to 3D modeling.